Procedure text is a text that is designed to describe how something is achieved through a sequences of actions or steps. It explains how people perform different processes in a sequences of steps. This text uses simple present tense, often imperative sentences. It also uses the temporal conjunction such as first, second, then, next, finally, etc.
The generic structures of Procedure Text are :
– Goal / aim ( title )
– Materials ( not required for all procedural text )
– Steps ( the action that must be taken )
Chocolate Chip Cookies
Goal : Chocolate Chip Cookies
Materials : 2 1/4 cups flour (280 g)
1 tea spoon salt (4.7 g)
1 teaspoon baking soda (2.3 g)
1 cup butter, softened but not melted (2 standard American sticks / 800 g)
You can use sunflower oil as a substitute
3/4 cup packed brown sugar (165 g)
3/4 cup granulated sugar (150 g)
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (5 ml)
1 to 2 cups chocolate chips (168 to 336 g)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F/190°C.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda. To reduce clumpiness, sift through a sifter or sieve. Gently mix these together, then set the bowl aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugars together, then beat in eggs and vanilla. The coarseness of the sugar granules will help break the butter down, so be sure to do these first. Then add the eggs and vanilla and mix again until completely combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients from the medium bowl to the wet ingredients in the large bowl, then add chocolate chips. Pour some of the dry ingredients, stir, and repeat until the dry and wet ingredients are totally combined. Fold the chocolate chips in until fully incorporated. At this point you should have a moderately thick cookie dough.
- Drop spoonfuls of cookie dough onto a pre-greased or a lined baking sheet. Leave at least an inch of space between the cookies because they’ll spread out when they cook. You can usually fit 12 cookies on a full-sized cookie sheet at a time.
- Bake for about 9 to 11 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and let the cookies rest on the pan for 3-4 minutes.
- Using a spatula, lift cookies off and place onto wax paper or a cooling rack. Let cool for about 5 more minutes.
- Eat when hot and steamy or cooled and slightly crisp. ^^